Useful Reference Books
Reference books are a great way to get some background information on a topic that you don't know much about. This is a great place to begin your research.
Finding Theology & Religion in the Library
Reeves Library uses the Library of Congress Classification Scheme to organize library resources. Each call number is preceded by 1 to 3 letters. The first letter is the principal subject heading. For example, the letters BL - BX are assigned to the subject headings "theology and religion." Theology/Religion-related LC subject headings and their location in Reeves Library:
- BL: Religions. Mythology.Rationalism Upper Level South
- BM: Judaism Upper Level South
- BP: Islam. Bahaism. Theosophy, etc. Upper Level South
- BQ: Buddhism Upper Level South
- BR: Christianity Upper Level South
- BS: The Bible * Upper Level South
- BT: Doctrinal Theology Upper Level South
- BV: Practical Theology Upper Level South
- BX: Christian DenominationsUpper Level South
- The Upper and Main Levels house circulating books. Reference materials on these and other subjects are found on the Main Level by the reference desk. To get a better idea of these locations, take a look at our Map of the Library Stacks.
Book Database - Reeves Library Catalog
To find books in Reeves Library on a topic, click on the link below to search the library catalog MOSYS.
Book Database - WorldCAT
To do a comprehensive search for books on a topic, click on the link below to search WorldCAT.
- Choose either a Keyword or Subject search. If you've found an especially useful Subject term in our catalog, you can use that term for Subject searching in this catalog, too.
- Limit your search to Books (that's this database's specialty).
- Select English as a language (it's a multi-lingual database).
- When a list of sources display, limit your audience to Not Juvenile and your content to Not Fiction.